Regional Forum of Sermo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Delegate Elections
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 12:38 pm by Darth GW7

» Yao Ming will vote quizzes retired major auction items
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:01 pm by The Chairman

» Taking my leave
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 6:04 pm by TekrosW

» Stunning revelation shakes Synavi government to its foundations
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:00 am by The Chairman

» Prepare for war brethren.
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 12:50 pm by Darth GW7

» Synavia complies with Security Council decisions
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 10:09 am by The Chairman

» State of New Synavia: 7/31/11
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:41 am by The Chairman

» Synavia would like to apply for Sermoan motorsports. 'Nuff said.
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 am by The Chairman

» Viktor Kasik re-elected!
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 7:43 pm by The Chairman

September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER T866fu

Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER

+9
Rusknova
Darth GW7
Nicola Burlef
Grand Administrator Crude
Hannibal Satelitos
Soalma
Viktor Kasik
Cisco Zarandin
President Gan
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER Empty Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER

Post  President Gan Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:23 pm

The cheese export industry is important to Machiniosa and as it's leader I recognise the need to protect this vital market. Thus I propose an 30% import tarrif on all Cheese product entering the region of Sermo.

Enact "Dairy Tariff Act"

Resolution SS#002

Proposed by: Pres. Gan of the Republic of Machiniosa

Description: Set a 30% import tariff on all Cheese product entering the region of Sermo

Argument:

ACKNOLEDGING that Machiniosa's cheese export industry is vital to the country and region as a whole.

ACKNOLEDGING that money raised from the tariff would be received by all countries to spend as they so wish.

BELIEVING that such a tarrif would benefit the region as a whole.

NOTING that regions may impose counter-tariffs

BELIEIVING that deals can be struck with such regions.

The Sermo Senate hereby enacts resolution #002, "Dairy Tariff Act"

Machiniosa's official standing on Res. #002 - FOR

Discussions shall close on 4/3/11 at 00:00 GMT.

Voting shall start 4/3/11 at 00:01 GMT 0 and last 24 hours.

Last edited by President Gan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
President Gan
President Gan

Back to top Go down

Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER Empty Re: Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER

Post  Cisco Zarandin Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Are the counter-tariff's really worth the risk though?

Think about tariff's put onto Ocasian Electric™ products, or Tarmadian Automotive™ vehicles. Tariffs on products such as automotive vehicles and electronic goods are surely more devastating towards the region as a whole than a damp in the Machiniosan Cheese market?
Cisco Zarandin
Cisco Zarandin
Founder
Founder

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=ocasus

Back to top Go down

Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER Empty Re: Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER

Post  Viktor Kasik Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 pm

I am against this import tarrif on cheese products, I believe it would be better if we did not have this tarrif because this will allow Machiniosa's cheese export industry to improve its own products in order to compete with the imports, which will help create more jobs in the cheese industry and cause the industry to improve its cheese making technology which will help the region in the long run.
Viktor Kasik
Viktor Kasik

Back to top Go down

Post  Soalma Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 am

I completely agree with Viktor Kasik. While I believe Machiniosa's cheese industry is important to the regional economy, I feel that a 30% regional tariff on cheese would not only make Machiniosa's cheese exports less competitive, but it would be one step closer to granting the nation a monopoly on cheese.
Soalma
Soalma

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannibal Satelitos Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 am

The House of the People of Lena-Rutland is for a regional import tariff on cheese.

However, Machiniosa's cheese does not enjoy a good reputation in our Community. In fact, cheese as a whole isn't looked well upon in Lena-Rutland, as it reminds us of our recent civil war, when the forces of the Upper House tried and succeeded in poisoning most of our cheese stock. Since then, the people have looked disfavourably at cheesy comestibles.

We feel that the import tax on cheese would be an important step in getting rid of this curdled traitor.
Hannibal Satelitos
Hannibal Satelitos

Back to top Go down

Post  Grand Administrator Crude Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:42 am

The Grand Administrator, High Administrator of Finance and High Administrator of Transportation and Trade consent to an import tariff on cheese under Book 12 (Trade doctrines), Section C (Food products), Product III (Dairy), Product cat. Beta (Solids).

This book entry will be edited upon acceptance of the resolution.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola Burlef Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:23 am

Tarmadia's best economic advisors have helped us to decide that we will support this act.
As you may know, private enterprise is highly illegal within our nation and these laws are a key foundation of our society. It could be seen as hypocritical not to impose a tariff against privately held companies' goods being imported, while the tax income from both private and state run imports would help to bolster the public sector within the region.
Nicola Burlef
Nicola Burlef

Back to top Go down

Post  Darth GW7 Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 am

Frenzland has no opinion on this matter, and will abstain.
Our food production is mainly for our own country, and our small cheese industry does not allow for much export of said food item.
I would like to take this oppertunity, however, to state that Frenzland hopes that this cheese is produced in the most humane way possible, and prioritises the comfort and happiness of the cows or goats over the hope for large-scale cheese production.
Darth GW7
Darth GW7

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusknova Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:31 am

As the "Ruskian Times" has provided its considerable weight to the "for" campeign and becuase of our own cheese currnelty being in small demand, Rusknova supports this.

Rusknova

Back to top Go down

Post  President Gan Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 am

Darth GW7 wrote:Frenzland has no opinion on this matter, and will abstain.
Our food production is mainly for our own country, and our small cheese industry does not allow for much export of said food item.
I would like to take this oppertunity, however, to state that Frenzland hopes that this cheese is produced in the most humane way possible, and prioritises the comfort and happiness of the cows or goats over the hope for large-scale cheese production.
Machiniosa has very tight regulations as to what constitutes Machiniosan cheese and constantly makes sure that not only are the animals kept to a suitable welfare standard but also in the interest of quality each batch to be sold has to be tested to the Machiniosan Food Standards Authorities stringent standards.
This is why many choose Machiniosan cheese over other regions product.
President Gan
President Gan

Back to top Go down

Post  Viktor Kasik Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:43 pm

If your cheese is already the prefered cheese, then why must this large tariff be placed on cheese imports? This will no doubt create a Machiniosa Cheese monopoly, as everyone will be buying only Machiniosa cheese due to the increased price of all other imported cheese. This will then allow the Machiniosa cheese industry to control the cheese prices how they please, which is not good for the region at all.
Viktor Kasik
Viktor Kasik

Back to top Go down

Post  President Gan Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Viktor Kasik wrote:If your cheese is already the prefered cheese, then why must this large tariff be placed on cheese imports? This will no doubt create a Machiniosa Cheese monopoly, as everyone will be buying only Machiniosa cheese due to the increased price of all other imported cheese. This will then allow the Machiniosa cheese industry to control the cheese prices how they please, which is not good for the region at all.

At present the cheese producers are in agreement that prices need to be controlled if a tariff were to be imposed, however I highly doubt a monopoly would be created as foreign cheese is relatively cheap compared to Machiniosan cheese.These imports are undercutting the Machiniosan market. This is indeed one of the primary reasons the market wants the tariff. In hindsight I am open to the idea of reducing the tariff to 20% but I flat out refuse to go lower.

Last edited by President Gan on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
President Gan
President Gan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cisco Zarandin Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 pm

ACKNOLEDGING that Machiniosa's cheese export industry is vital to the country and region as a whole.

Right here. This SS#002 is preposterous.

You awknowlege that your cheese is vital to the country and region as a whole? Please back this up. As the leader of Lena-Rutland has stated, his people are not in particular interest of your market.

"BELIEVING that such a tarrif would benefit the region as a whole."

Again, no feasible answer to why this is true.

"NOTING that regions may impose counter-tariffs"

Do you really want to possible have our exports tariffed? That will cause much more economic damage than your cheese market.

This is a flagrant attempt by Machiniosan leaders trying to monopolize a market and practically forcing the majority of the region to buy their cheese from Machiniosa. This is all for Machiniosa to gain capital, not at all for the good of the region. It is a joke if this bill gets passed. Especially from Machiniosa, a country who has claimed to have capitalistic beliefs. I beg the men and woman of the Senate of Sermo, Don't pass this bill.
Cisco Zarandin
Cisco Zarandin
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  President Gan Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Cisco Zarandin wrote:

Right here. This SS#002 is preposterous.

You awknowlege that your cheese is vital to the country and region as a whole? Please back this up. As the leader of Lena-Rutland has stated, his people are not in particular interest of your market.

"BELIEVING that such a tarrif would benefit the region as a whole."

Again, no feasible answer to why this is true.

"NOTING that regions may impose counter-tariffs"

Do you really want to possible have our exports tariffed? That will cause much more economic damage than your cheese market.

This is a flagrant attempt by Machiniosan leaders trying to monopolize a market and practically forcing the majority of the region to buy their cheese from Machiniosa. This is all for Machiniosa to gain capital, not at all for the good of the region. It is a joke if this bill gets passed. Especially from Machiniosa, a country who has claimed to have capitalistic beliefs. I beg the men and woman of the Senate of Sermo, Don't pass this bill.

Whether or not my nation holds capitalistic beliefs is redundant, and do I believe that my words have been twisted.

While Machiniosa isn't the most economically powerful nation it has and continues to invest in other nations through private enterprise and tourism, an increase in this would be beneficial for the region would it not? I am also bemused that people seem to have overlooked the fact that deals may be struck with various other regions to lower the tarrif in return for other goods, this is also why I believe that the tarrif could be beneficial. Machiniosan cheese is a high demand product and the region should exploit it.

As I have stated in earlier posts I do not wish to monopolise the cheese industry in Machiniosa rather protect it from cheap foreign import.
President Gan
President Gan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cisco Zarandin Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 pm

You want to prevent "cheap cheese" if there even is such a thing, from coming into the region to protect your industry, is practically saying, nevermind the cheaper and possibly equal quality cheese that might be more affordable for say, the working class, everyone should get my top quality, more expensive Machiniosan cheese instead.

At the risk of what? Imagine a 30% tariff on all cars exported from Sermo to all other places, since we did the same for everyone's dairy products. The economic lose would be huge in comparison. It's not worth the risk. If you want to, pass a national tariff, but, don't bring the entirety of the region into this. As you've stated on the topic of Seero Standardization;

President Gan wrote:Also, while the benefits of standardisation may be seen clearly during a period of boom,when bust inevitably comes then the downturn will pull down other countries with it and considering the state of some economies in the region I remain against on economic grounds. Personally I would prefer an opt-in system such as the Euro rather than a compulsory standardisation.

Let's replace standardization with "regional tariff" and Euro with "national tariff" and there you go.

Last edited by Cisco Zarandin on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cisco Zarandin
Cisco Zarandin
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Avin Triumvirate Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:58 pm

The Triumvirate believes that the implication of 'Machiniosan cheese' being a product for which demand is at a level worthy of taking action to ensure it's security is a false one. To provide a domestic example, the leading external brands of cheese sold within Avinistratus are those imported from the Heartland. With the Heartland being known not for the any particular qualities within their products, but instead the sheer level of production, they could easily afford to slash prices and undercut even the local and tariff supported variants. They might not earn as stable a profit within the region, yet ultimately they are large enough to withstand a drop in a foreign market.

How could the Machiniosan brandname stand against companies which could possibly undercut it even with the supporting tariffs? That is ignoring the possibility of counter-tariffs, as unfortunately due to sheer human nature, you'll be able to find someone with an axe to grind in this world. The decision reached by the Triumvirate has been made with the entirity of this region in mind, rather than simple profit margins within sharehoiders pockets. We have reason to doubt the political integrity of your government.

(( Note, the Heartland which is referred too. ICly it is merely known as the Administratum Heartland rather than 'Useful Daveia', but it is the plant from which the seed of Avinistratus fell. Thus, while it will not have a direct presence within the RP, it does provide it's colony with aid in hard times, ceremonial guard units, problems from the homeland, historic events and the occasional visitors from home. Considering that it is one of the 10% highest in NS for cheese production, I thought it worthy of note as an example.

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=useful_daveia))
Avin Triumvirate
Avin Triumvirate

Back to top Go down

Post  Cisco Zarandin Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:09 pm

The above makes a very valid point, which I respect.

I want you to look at this though. It's an economic report published today from the Sermo Economic Complex in Aura.

Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER Bf04109b4a173d7a808e51ae49c7ce00

Notice the GDP per capita for half the nations in Sermo is under $6000 (Machiniosa not being on of them). That is not alot at all is it? We should be helping nations actually trying to make ends meet. Not wasting our time on a stable country no matter how delicious the cheese is.

Machiniosan cheese is known for quality yes? Not quantity. I frankly do not see why President Gan has made such an issue over this. The good people of Ocasus, budget forbid that is buy Machiniosan cheese. For quality, not price. There will always be a cheaper alternative. There will always be people who'd rather quality over quantity.

That's how it will always work. We don't need the possible risks of tariffs on our goods. If Machiniosan cheese is actually as good as President Gan claims, it will survive.
Cisco Zarandin
Cisco Zarandin
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Inyk Aineastap Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Representing a nation that not only has a nationwide disdain for the disgusting mold, but also a full nationwide ban on the foul substance, it is with great surprise that we oppose the implementation of these tariffs and support the legal trade of this "food" throughout the world, with the exception of our own nation.
If the legal inter-regional trade of "cheese" is to be made less profitable, illegal trade of this substance might start throughout the borders of our region.
No sensible person would allow smuggling of this "cheese" to become widespread throughout the region, now would they?
Inyk Aineastap
Inyk Aineastap

Back to top Go down

Post  Hippo Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:44 am

Goverment of Hippostania supports this proposition, as there is already a 150% cheese tax on all cheese products sold in Hippostania. Hippostania wants to discourage people from using cheese, as it causes an awful smell to the area where cheese is eaten, and it's also dangerous for your health. Why would you eat moldy cheese if you wouldn't eat moldy ice cream for example?
Hippo
Hippo

http://urgay.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cisco Zarandin Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:57 am

Hippo wrote:Goverment of Hippostania supports this proposition, as there is already a 150% cheese tax on all cheese products sold in Hippostania. Hippostania wants to discourage people from using cheese, as it causes an awful smell to the area where cheese is eaten, and it's also dangerous for your health. Why would you eat moldy cheese if you wouldn't eat moldy ice cream for example?

Excuse me? This isn't a ban on cheese. That's ridiculous. Have you even read the proposition?

Also, not all cheeses are moldy, and unless it's 15 square meters in size, I don't think a bit of Bleu will affect any area. Dangerous to your health? Please back this statement up, because it's completely false.

This is about whether or not to tax cheeses from outside of the region for Machiniosas sake, which I do not support.
Cisco Zarandin
Cisco Zarandin
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Hippo Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 am

Cisco Zarandin wrote:
Hippo wrote:Goverment of Hippostania supports this proposition, as there is already a 150% cheese tax on all cheese products sold in Hippostania. Hippostania wants to discourage people from using cheese, as it causes an awful smell to the area where cheese is eaten, and it's also dangerous for your health. Why would you eat moldy cheese if you wouldn't eat moldy ice cream for example?

Excuse me? This isn't a ban on cheese. That's ridiculous. Have you even read the proposition?

Also, not all cheeses are moldy, and unless it's 15 square meters in size, I don't think a bit of Bleu will affect any area. Dangerous to your health? Please back this statement up, because it's completely false.

This is about whether or not to tax cheeses from outside of the region for Machiniosas sake, which I do not support.
Yes, I have read the proposition, and I support it. I understand that this proposition isn't about banning cheese, but the Hippostanian goverment supports all propositions that support restricting the free flow and availability of cheese products. This includes bans, tariffs, taxes etc.
Hippo
Hippo

http://urgay.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannibal Satelitos Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:07 am

The Lena-Rutland government stands with its fellow opponents of cheese, when it comes to the cheese itself. We back the tariff in cheese imports. It is my opinion that we should first isolate ourselves from foreign (extra-regional) cheeses, and then fight the enemy at home.

My views and the views of my people are the same as the Hippostania Government: this tax will be a step towards further advances in anti-cheese policies. The goal of our government is the complete halt in cheese imports within a reasonable time period, and eventual halt of the production of cheese, perhaps on a global scale, while keeping it in the history books, for people to learn of these past mistakes.

The destruction of the cheese industry is fully and completely backed by all Lena-Rutlanders. Make no mistake, this is not aimed at the Machiniosa cheese industry as an economic enterprise, only as a maker of cheese. Yogurt is fine, though.
Hannibal Satelitos
Hannibal Satelitos

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola Burlef Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:53 am

Cheese is enjoyed by people across the region. We should not base such a decision on your own personal preferences regarding processed dairy.
I enjoy a good cheese myself, although my own opinion is that Machiniosan cheese is rubbery and tasteless - A good description would be that it's like chewing a damp tyre that's been out in the sun for a particularly scorching decade.
This doesn't mean I believe their Cheese industry should be shut down or taxed for such a reason. My reasons for supporting this proposal are purely based on the anti-business opinions of the nation.
Nicola Burlef
Nicola Burlef

Back to top Go down

Post  President Gan Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:14 am

Cisco Zarandin wrote:The above makes a very valid point, which I respect.

I want you to look at this though. It's an economic report published today from the Sermo Economic Complex in Aura.

Possibility of imposing an import tariff on Cheese product.-DISCUSSION OVER Bf04109b4a173d7a808e51ae49c7ce00

Notice the GDP per capita for half the nations in Sermo is under $6000 (Machiniosa not being on of them). That is not alot at all is it? We should be helping nations actually trying to make ends meet. Not wasting our time on a stable country no matter how delicious the cheese is.

Machiniosan cheese is known for quality yes? Not quantity. I frankly do not see why President Gan has made such an issue over this. The good people of Ocasus, budget forbid that is buy Machiniosan cheese. For quality, not price. There will always be a cheaper alternative. There will always be people who'd rather quality over quantity.

That's how it will always work. We don't need the possible risks of tariffs on our goods. If Machiniosan cheese is actually as good as President Gan claims, it will survive.

I find it hypocritical of you to suggest we need to help other countries develop their economy then stating that a counter tariff would damage your economy. If you were serious about this you would propose a resolution to help these countries, something which I have yet to see. They need help with their domestic markets urgently.

The fact of the matter is that the Machiniosan economy is nowhere as strong as you claim, the tariff is simply a measure to help keep the Machiniosan economy afloat so it indeed can help those smaller nations. I also highly doubt that counter-tariffs shall be imposed on anything other than cheese product.
President Gan
President Gan

Back to top Go down

Post  President Gan Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:29 am

Nicola Burlef wrote:Cheese is enjoyed by people across the region. We should not base such a decision on your own personal preferences regarding processed dairy.
I enjoy a good cheese myself, although my own opinion is that Machiniosan cheese is rubbery and tasteless - A good description would be that it's like chewing a damp tyre that's been out in the sun for a particularly scorching decade.
This doesn't mean I believe their Cheese industry should be shut down or taxed for such a reason. My reasons for supporting this proposal are purely based on the anti-business opinions of the nation.

I fail to see how your opinion on the taste of my regions cheese has any relevance to your stance on the issue.
President Gan
President Gan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next